Much has been written about the Zappos.com return policy for shoes. It’s perhaps the most consumer friendly return policy you’ll find. Check this out:
Need to Return Your Purchase? It’s easy, and it’s FREE!*
|If you are not 100% satisfied with your purchase, we will be happy to accept a return for a full refund.|
|You can return your purchase for up to 365 days from the purchase date*. Products must be in the condition you received them and in the original box and/or packaging. Any electronic product that has been opened and/or used cannot be returned unless the unit was received defective. Opened software, music, games, and movies may be exchanged for the same title only.|
|Return shipping is absolutely free*. We will provide you with a pre-paid UPS domestic or USPS domestic label to return the purchase to us.**|
|Please do not send your purchase back to the manufacturer, we will take care of everything.|
|If you would like to exchange an item on your order, please call 1-800-927-7671, option 3, for additional assistance.|
I was looking at their site today to see other elements of the customer experience. Zappos is using a wide array of features to appeal to customers and make the shopping experience convenient, pleasurable, and memorable. Look at these options:
- “Free Shipping Both Ways” – Standard delivery is free is on all purchases. Sure they’re probably adding a shipping cost into the product price. However, it’s convenient for the customer to know that for the base price they can buy their product and have it delivered to their door. As mentioned in their return policy, returns are shipped at no charge to the customer.
- Customer Testimonials – Unsure about a unfamiliar brand Zappos? Read online customer testimonials. That’s nothing new for anyone, but how would you feel about a video testimonial? Zappos has that too! They’ve posted a video page on YouTube where customers can talk about their experience with Zappos. http://www.youtube.com/video_response_view_all?v=PqAXLbV9gGU
- Live Help – Online Chat – This feature is nice for those customers that don’t want to sit on the phone line with an agent or that value being able to multi-task while getting assistance with their purchase.
- Payments by PayPal – This is a great feature due to the number of consumers that have PayPal accounts. Consumers who don’t want to store or give their account numbers to multiple merchants can consolidate into a single payment provider. Within PayPal, they have the ability to pay via cash, credit, or invoice.
- Better Business Bureau – Concerned about the credibility of a brand that doesn’t have a traditional store front? Check out their profile with the Better Business Bureau by following the link on the home page.
I think this just touches the surface of a great customer experience. I haven’t even mentioned how they merchandise their products on the site. Have you ordered from Zappos? How would you rate your experience? Did you learn anything from it?